Creating a debug information file to help technical support
This article provides information about how to configure SyncBack to output debug information. This information is often required when submitting a technical support ticket.
SyncBack is capable of outputting detailed debug information to a file. This debug information can then be used by technical support personnel to help them locate where the problems are:
- Run SyncBack
- If your user interface is not in English then please change the language to English. This can be done via Preferences > Language in the main menu. This will ensure the logs and error messages are in English, which is the only language in which we currently provide technical support.
- Select Preferences > Output debug information from the main menu. When there is a tick/check mark next to Output Debug Information
then debug information will be created.The title bar should change to
reflect this mode, also with RAM & CPU statistics displayed.
- Run your profile or perform the task asked of you by technical
support personnel.You must re-run the profile (etc) after setting Output
Debug Info (it is the new run of the profile that generates the info as
it runs - it is not 'retrospective')
- Once the profile has finished, or the task completed, immediately select Help > Technical Support Wizard from the main menu. Do not edit the profile or perform any other task as this may delete or invalidate the debug information.
- Select the profile* from the drop-down list and click the Create button
- Submit a support ticket and attach the Zip file created. Please do not extract/send just the debug log/s alone - there is important background information in the Support Zip (for example, your settings)
- Please click attach file when Contacting Support
After providing the debug file you are advised to switch off debug output as it degrades performance. To do this simply run SyncBack and uncheck the main menu item Preferences > Output debug information.
* Starting with v188.8.131.52, this procedure also works for Group profiles (the Support Zip will contain all the member profiles plus the Group itself). For earlier versions (pre-184.108.40.206), the Technical Support Wizard does not work with Groups - you need to select an individual profile (in turn, if necessary). In those earlier versions (pre-220.127.116.11), if you also need to generate a copy of a Group to send with a support ticket, select the Group, then use the Profiles menu > Export method (or, right-click Group > Export Profile), and send the compressed SPS file this process creates. Of course, it is it recommended that you simply update to the latest version to obtain built-in Group-based Support Zip functionality. Bear in mind that we do not officially support outdated versions of the software.